17's down Dunboyne

U-17 Division 1 League Round 7

Seneschalstown 3-13 Dunboyne 2-13

Seneschalstown arrived in Dunboyne on Friday evening last to face a Dunboyne side against whom victory had eluded the Yellow Furze over previous years. However, from the start of the game the side in blue and yellow set the tone of the game and in a game played with a high level of pace and commitment at last Seneschalstown managed to emerge as victors against the Dublin border club.

Seneschalstown started brightly and opened a three point lead early on with efforts from Cillian Gormley and Dylan Keating with two. Dunboyne struck back with a goal to level matters. However, one of the hall marks of this team is their ability to score goals and it did not take long for the team to register their first goal and re-establish their lead. The Dunboyne goalie advanced from his goal mouth only to be surrounded by the Seneschalstown forwards who managed to win the ball back leaving Alan Mulvany to pop the ball to Dylan Keating who found the net from close range. Both teams traded points, Joe Moore moved forward and kicked the first of his two for the evening.

Dunboyne were not giving up easily and had a well worked move up the pitch which left them with a goal chance. However, the combined efforts of Brian Boyd and Fionn Hall blocked the effort out for a 45. Lifted by this the visitors started a move in defence with Sean Carey which ended up with Ross Mullen staring at the Dunboyne goalie who placed the ball neatly under his opponent for the team’s second goal. Alan Mulvany then slotted over a point following a foul on Dylan Keating. Dunboyne then added their second goal which put the home side two up. Daire Finnegan brought the first half scoring to a close with a point leaving one between the teams at the short whistle.

Dunboyne started the second half smartly and extended their lead to three points and this was when the true character and work rate of the team shone through. In the first half Seneschalstown struggled to come to terms with Dunboyne’s sweeper system but after the break the visitors pushed up “man for man” and forced quite a few turnovers. Joe Moore and Sean Commons chipped in with two long range efforts and then after another typical Daire Finnegan run and shot which drew a save from the Dunboyne goalie Ross Mullen was on hand to flick the ball high into the roof of the net. Dylan Keating then scored a fine individual effort along with a Mulvany Free and fine effort from Ross Mullen.

As in the first half Dunboyne were not standing back and kept the score board ticking over and managed to get in for a one on one with the Furze keeper, however Brian Boyd was more than equal to the task making a fine save with his left boot. During this time, the Seneschalstown rear guard was tested but with sterling performances from Fionn Hall, Cathal Hickey Jamie Kirwan, Ben Coffey along with Carey and Moore there was no easy path to gal for Dunboyne. Seneschalstown were dealt a blow with ten minutes remaining when Daire Finnegan had to leave the field with a knee injury and in true fashion this only drove his team mates on to greater efforts. The scoring was brought to a close buy another Keating effort and a free from Mulvany following a foul on Jason Lyons.

On a night when all that was good about Gaelic football was on offer it is fair to say that all players and subs put in an enormous effort to secure a vital win ensuring a home semi-final.

Brian Boyd, Ben Coffey, Jamie Kirwan, Fionn Hall, Cathal Hickey, Joseph Moore, Sean Carey, Daire Finnegan, Alan Mulvany, Ross Mullen, Sean Commons, Cillian Gormley, James Commons, Dylan Keating, Jason Lyons.

Seneschalstown Substitutions: Tiernan Keogh for J. Commons, Seanie Dalton for J. Lyons, Jason Lyons for D. Finnegan

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer