1st point of the season picked up

A League Division 1 Round 4

Seneschalstown 1-13 Blackhall Gaels 1-13

It looked for a long time that Seneschalstown were going to pick up their first win of the season on Sunday when with eleven minutes to go they held a five point lead but in the end, they were lucky to come away with a point as following a sixty ninth minute free to equalise they coughed up a last gasp scoring chance to the visiting Blackhall Gaels only for their wing forward to pull his shot wide at the near post.

A total of nine minutes’ injury time ended up being played at the end of the second half due to injuries being sustained by referee Patrick Nelis and Seneschalstown’s wing back Adam Carey who had to be stretchered off the field following an accidental collision. No doubt everyone in attendance would wish Adam a speedy recovery.

With James Conlon in impressive form at full forward, Seneschalstown’s attack had plenty of spark about them in the first half with their impressive workrate being a hallmark of the opening period. Another who showed up well was minor player Robert Wogan who worked his socks off. At half time, Blackhall Gaels led by the minimum but Seneschalstown would have been happy that they would manage to gain the upper hand in the second half.

This hope gained credence early on in that half when after Jonathan Gilsenan had cancelled out a point from the visitors, Robert Wogan got on the end of a well worked team move and had the simplest of tasks to finish to the net, pushing Seneschalstown into a three point lead. David Hosie’s charges had chances to extend this lead and this they did but a five point advantage with forty-nine minutes on the clock could have been more had they gone for the jugular once or twice rather than taking the point option.

Then came the first break in play when referee Nelis went down injured, following which Blackhall Gaels got back into their rhythm and boosted by a penalty which was hotly disputed by the home camp they edged into the slenderest of leads. Another break in play followed when Adam Carey went down, meaning more time had to be added on and in these extra minutes Sean Noonan managed to win a thirteen metre free which Brian Sheridan tapped over.

Best for the home side over the hour were the aforementioned Adam Carey, Joe Sheridan and Jonathan Gilsenan.

Seneschalstown: David Gordon, Niall Hickey, David Matthews, Darragh Keogh, Teean Cummins, John Smith, Adam Carey (0-01), Brian Sheridan (0-01, 0-01 Free), Damien Sheridan, Jonathan Gilsenan (0-02), Joe Sheridan (0-03), Niall Groome (0-01), Robert Wogan (1-00), James Conlon (0-03), Bryan Clarke (0-02, 0-02 Frees)

Seneschalstown Substitutions: Conor Cowley for D. Keogh, Ross Howard for T. Cummins, Sean Noonan for J. Conlon, Brendan Lynch for A. Carey.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer