Busy Week Starts with Win

Under 15 Football Championship Division 1 Round 2

Seneschalstown 4-8 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 3-7

The start of an extremely busy seven days for Seneschalstown’s Under 15’s got off to a positive start when they defeated Donaghmore/Ashbourne in the second round of the O’Reilly & Co. Solicitors Under 15 Football Championship Division 1, played in Fr. Tully Park on Wednesday night. As the Dublin border outfit arrived with only 14 players, the game was played with as many a-side, meaning there was extra space available around the pitch.

The ‘Moores got the first two points of the game, before Seneschalstown got themselves into the game in the 5th minute. Liam Dillon’s attempt at a point from a free dropped short and was picked up by the waiting Cian Hosie who smashed the ball into the roof of the net. Donaghmore/Ashbourne pulled themselves level with a pointed free but Liam Dillion scored from a similar effort down the other, following a foul on Aaron Carey. There was a nine minute lull in the scoring, but the hosts broke the duck in the best possible fashion before the water break. After breaking from defence with a slick hand passing move, Tadhg Lenehan, who was involved in the move on more than one occasion linked up well with Charles McCarthy who provided the assist across the goal for Aaron Craey to rise highest and punch to the net. Cian Commons added to the advantage, after excellent play from his namesake Cian Hosie in the build up, however the away side broke from the resultant kick out and find the net to reduce the gap to two. It would remain that way at half time, as the teams swapped points. Colin Scanlon showing great close control to engineer a shooting chance for himself amidst pressure from the Ashbourne defence.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne got the ball rolling for the second half with a point, but the home side were about to enjoy a purple patch, during which a further 1-05 was added to the scoreboard. Aaron Carey and Liam Dillon clipped over the first two scores of this period, which was followed up by a sumptuous effort from Cian Hosie who ran on to an excellent Cian Hosie footpass, chipped it up to himself, cut inside and curled over from 25 metres out. Colin Scanlon immediately followed this up with another point. Scanlon was involved again in the next score, Seneschalstown’s third goal when he squared the ball across for Carey to finish his second goal of the game. The home team were indebted their goalkeeper shortly afterwards as Colm McDonnell produced a fine stop to keep out an Ashbourne major at the other end. Liam Dillon rounded off the third quarter surge with a point following a direct run at the heart of the visitors defence.

The last quarter was about seeing the game out for Seneschalstown. Scanlon’s speculative point attempt dropped into the net as the game entered a lengthy spell of injury time. Two late goals from the vistitors threatened the comeback of all comebacks but Seneschalstown were relieved to hear Robbie Barrett’s full time whistle to emerge as four point victors.

Sunday morning sees the lads travel to Ratoath for the Round 3 Championship meeting, before their postponed Division 1 League Final against St. Colmcille’s takes place in Donore on Wednesday night.

Seneschalstown: Colm McDonnell, Alex Sheridan, Seán Reilly, Lorcan Lawlor, Tadhg Lenehan, Phillip Smyth, Seán Davis, Cian Commons (0-01), Liam Dillon (0-03, 2f), Colin Scanlon (1-02), Aaron Carey (2-01), Charles McCarthy, Cian Hosie (1-01), Jack McDonnell.

Subs: Jamie Barry, Thomas Kearns, Owen McGauran, Matthew Cowley, Peter Geraghty, Finn Nolan, Braiden Englishby

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer