Injury-Hit Seniors Too Strong for Rathkenny

AFL Division 1B Round 5

Seneschalstown 3-13 Rathkenny 0-10

Seneschalstown picked up back to back victories for the first time in this year’s Division 1B League campaign after beating Rathkenny by 12 points in Fr. Tully Park on what was a bright Tuesday evening for football.

In a game in which they lead from start to finish Seneschalstown put in the hard graft in the first half, before adding three second half goals which their overall performance richly deserved.

Seneschalstown were forced into a number of changes from the last game, that was before Ronan Conneely and Simon Rooney were both off injured during the first half. This left Seneschalstown with a stretched squad but to their credit, the lads that came in stood up to the cause.

Prior to throw-in, a minute’s silence was observed in memory of Mary Gordon who passed away on Tuesday afternoon, grandmother of Seneschalstown goalkeeper David Gordon. Credit to David for turning up to play in such circumstances.

Like he did last week, Eoin Finnegan got the ball rolling for the hour with a point from play, followed up immediately by a similar effort from brother Cathal. A similar theme was to follow for the majority of the contest, Eoin cutting back onto his left foot to ark over 60 seconds later to move Seneschalstown three in front by the fifth minute.

Rathkenny got on the board in the 12th minute, but Seneschalstown’s next score was well worked. When the ball was carried up a dead end, Johnny Gilsenan and John Smith did well to recycle to Seán Commons on the 45 in front of goal, who did the rest pointing off the outside of his right foot. The Finnegan’s continued to terrorise Rathkenny in the inside line, Cathal responsible for the next two points – one from play and another from a free.

The visitors managed to get their second point of the game 22 minutes in, but Seneschalstown regained control quickly, Seán Commons popping over a free and Eoin Finnegan notching up his third point of the half. Two Rathkenny points narrowed the gap before the break, but a final free from near the sideline courtesy of Cathal Finnegan left the home side five to the good at the break, 0-9 to 0-4.

A fast start to the second half moved Seneschalstown seven to the good, both points again coming from the trusty left boot of Cathal Finnegan, one of which was a free. Rathkenny replied with one of their own almost instantly.

The next score to arrive was a key one, as Seneschalstown broke through for their first goal of the game. After a short kickout from David Gordon was worked out of defence via Woodley Nicholson and Brian Maguire, Donal Commons played the ball into Eoin Finnegan who won the ball under the scoreboard. Still with plenty to do, he took on his man, leaving him on the ground before slotting into the bottom corner. The goal moved Seneschalstown nine points in front. Rathkenny answered this set back with three points in four minutes, but a brace of Cathal Finnegan points just after the three quarter mark moved the home eight clear once again and by this stage Rathkenny were in need of something remarkable to reel their hosts in.

The home side made certain of victory with a second goal in the 52nd minute, Donal Commons flicking to the net after a long delivery from John Smith broke in front of the goal. An added gloss to the performance was a third goal from Cathal Finnegan with a powerful left footed low to the bottom right hand corner. All in all, it was a satisfactory evenings work for Ciaran Marks side, who move up to third in the table ahead of a top of the table showdown with Dunderry next Tuesday evening.

Seneschalstown: David Gordon, Simon Rooney, Brian Maguire, Cormac Carolan, Ronan Conneely, Woodley Nicholson, Cillian Lawlor, John Smith, Seán Commons (0-02, 1f), Ryan Finnegan, Donal Commons (1-00), Ross Howard, Cathal Finnegan (1-08, 4fs), Johnny Gilsenan, Eoin Finnegan (1-03)

Subs Used: Podge Finegan, Tom McDonnell, Liam Maguire, Dylan Keating

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer