Next stop Division 2

2017 A League Division 1 Round 13

Gaeil Colmcille 0-11 Seneschalstown 1-08

Seneschalstown’s latest spell in Division 1 of the League came to a conclusion on Monday evening when in Grangegodden they did just enough to reel Gaeil Colmcille in and force a draw courtesy of two points scored deep into injury time from Niall Groome and Robert Wogan.

In a game which never really sparked to life despite there being the occasional heated moment, the Devenish Nutrition sponsored outfit who were missing a number of regulars showed flashes of good play as they warmed up for their upcoming third round encounter with Simonstown Gaels in the Fairyhouse Steel Meath SFC on Saturday evening.

The home side were first to draw blood when in the first couple of minutes they sent over two well taken efforts from play and it took Seneschalstown until the eighth minute before they opened their account when corner forward Robert Wogan angled a shot over the crossbar. Bryan Clarke soon equalised when he slotted over a free before James Conlon powered a shot over the bar when it seemed as though he had a golden opportunity of grabbing a goal.

Gaeil Colmcille soon equalised and could have notched a goal as the game entered the second quarter only for Cormac Noonan to get back onto the goal line and pull off a fine stop to keep his sides goal intact. Indiscipline in the tackle was to cost Seneschalstown in the next couple of minutes as they gave away a few scoreable frees which the side in white made no mistake in punishing while they also added a forty-five to open up a three point advantage. The closing ten minutes of the half then saw the sides manage a paltry point apiece, the Seneschalstown score coming from a long-range Bryan Clarke free after he himself had been the victim of a high tackle, leaving the scoreline at Seneschalstown 0-04 Gaeil Colmcille 0-07 at the interval.
James Conlon got the scoring underway for the second half when he fashioned a well taken point while Cathal Finnegan coolly converted a forty-five into the breeze on thirty six minutes to cancel out a Gaeil Colmcille free. The Kells outfit managed to extend their advantage to four points when adding two more points as the game entered the last ten minutes only for James Conlon to whittle the lead down to a solitary point when he somehow snaffled a goal while the majority of the crowd had their attentions elsewhere as they took in an unsavoury looking incident fifty yards away from where the real action was.

Gaeil Colmcille looked to have done just enough to secure the points when they pointed in the second half of injury time to extend their lead to two points but with Gerry McGivney signalling that he was going to play four minutes of added time Seneschalstown never gave up and they got their just desserts when landing those two late points to secure the draw.

This brought life in Division 1 to a close and now they can look forward to another stay in Division 2. All in Fr. Tully Park will be hoping that it’s a brief sojourn.

Seneschalstown: David Gordon, Ronan Conneely, Cormac Noonan, Brian Maguire, Niall Hickey, Joe Cowley, Niall Groome (0-01), John Smith, Damien Sheridan, Cathal Finnegan (0-01, 0-01 ’45), Niall McCabe, Ross Howard, Robert Wogan (0-02), James Conlon (1-02), Bryan Clarke (0-02, 0-02 Frees).

Seneschalstown Substitutions: Gary Conlon for B. Clarke, Dylan Doyle for C. Finnegan and Teean Cummins for J. Cowley.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer