Silverware for the 'town

2019 LMFM Minor Football League Division 2 Final

Seneschalstown 2-11 Drumconrath/Meath Hill 0-09

Having met in Round 2 of the round robin stage of the League when they played out a draw match, a tight encounter was anticipated between Seneschalstown and Drumconrath/Meath Hill on Saturday in the Division 2 Minor League Final. But few could have anticipated the manner in which the game would play out as both sides would completely dominate a half apiece. In such circumstances you might be forgiven the famous Dunganny wind was a factor but in reality, it was little more than a breeze on this occasion.
Both sides endured handicaps for the final, Seneschalstown were forced to line out without the two Conors, Dunne and McDonnell while Drumconrath/Meath Hill lost the services of Josh Flanagan and Conor Owens to ankle and knee injuries respectively. This left the North Meath side with only 13 players but under the fair play rule which operates in this competition, Seneschalstown withdrew 2 players to even up the playing numbers.

In front of a healthy attendance on what was a busy weekend for supporters, it was Drumconrath/Meath Hill who got off to the better start when with the breeze at their backs, they picked off 3 points in the early stages. Cormac Sheedy helped himself to the first 2 before wing forward Andrew Monaghan got in on the scoring act. The boys in blue were getting hard to get going and were relying on some heroic defending from David Johnson, Zach Sheridan and Dylan Geraghty in the full back line to keep the score down while Cathal Darby was alert to anything which got past them and pulled off a couple of top class saves.

A lengthy hold up while Josh Flanagan received treatment for his injury disrupted the flow of the game somewhat but when play resumed Drumconrath/Meath Hill remained on top as Monaghan again bisected the uprights. Meath Minor panellist Conor Owens then sent a ’45 sailing over the crossbar before Alan McCluskey pushed the gap out to 6 points. Seneschalstown by now were in dire need of a score to get themselves back into the game and eventually Donal Commons got his chance to open their account when they were awarded a free for a foul on Owen Mullen after he got on the end of a move highlighted by the powerful running of Cillian Lawlor and Will Finegan. The ever-accurate Commons made no mistake as the umpire raised the white flag.

This though was to be as good as it got for Seneschalstown on the scoring front in the opening half as Drumconrath/Meath Hill tagged on further points from Conor Owens, Monaghan and Sean Owens, younger brother of Conor to leave the half time score reading Drumconrath/Meath Hill 0-09 Seneschalstown 0-01. Was there to be any way back for the Ian Maguire managed side?

With plenty to mull over after a disappointing opening half, Seneschalstown shuffled the deck at the interval and bit by bit began to gain a foothold in proceedings. Kit Waddington and Woodley Nicholson who had arrived from an earlier rugby match began to exert their influence and Donal Commons kicked a trio of frees to whittle the gap down to 5 points. Suddenly the belief levels amongst the team and support began to rise. Waddington, who was to be hugely influential in his time on the field then showed a devastating burst of speed to get past his marker before unleashing an unstoppable drive to the back of the net.

The highly industrious pairing of Liam Maguire and Will Finegan chipped in with points to draw the sides level as the open nature of the game now it was being played at 13 a-side seemed to suit the Boynesiders. Drumconrath/Meath Hill were getting hard to break them down now with their small playing numbers proving to be something of a hindrance as the players on the pitch visibly began to tire while Seneschalstown were able to bring players on to freshen up the side as required.

Maguire, Finegan and Commons continued to keep the scoreboard ticking over for their side as Seneschalstown opened up a 5 point lead before the cream was put on the victory when Aaron Traynor who had been superb in their semi-final win over St. Peter’s Dunboyne, rounded off the scoring with a well taken goal to leave the score when Cormac Reilly sounded the final whistle at Seneschalstown 2-11 Drumconrath/Meath Hill 0-09.

Over the course of the hour Seneschalstown had very impressive showings from Zach Sheridan at full back, Donal Commons and Liam Maguire while the introduction off the bench of Kit Waddington and Woodley Nicholson proved vital in overturning that 8 point half time deficit.

The cup which the club last won in 2016 was presented to joint captains Cillian Lawlor & Liam Maguire by the Meath Minor Board Secretary and fellow Seneschalstown member Brian Kelly and both teams can be proud of their efforts in a tightly contested game played in a very sporting manner.

Seneschalstown: Cathal Darby, David Johnson, Zach Sheridan, Tom Smith, Cillian Lawlor, Dylan Geraghty, Will Finegan (0-02), Donal Commons (0-04), Owen Mullen, Seanie Dalton, Cian Rooney, Jack Owens, Liam Maguire (0-03), Aaron Traynor (1-00).

Seneschalstown Subs: Kit Waddington (1-02) for Owen Mullen, Woodley Nicholson for Dylan Geraghty, Cormac Carolan for David Johnson, Tom McDonnell for Tom Smith, Daire Walsh.

Drumconrath/Meath Hill Scorers: Andrew Monaghan (0-03), Cormac Sheedy (0-02), Conor Owens (0-2), Alan McCluskey (0-01), Sean Owens (0-01).

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer