'Town advance to semi-final

LMFM Meath MFC Division 1A Round 2

Seneschalstown 4-10 Simonstown Gaels 1-05

On all previous form the clash of Seneschalstown and Simonstown Gaels was expected to be a tight encounter on Wednesday evening in Round 2 of the LMFM MFC and while the scoreline might look like the home side won it at their ease, the reality is quite different. Simonstown will look back on the match and identify key moments where lapses of concentration and small errors proved very costly as Seneschalstown took full advantage of any opening which appeared.

Early in the second half there was only 5 points between the sides and it was anybodys game but from there to the finish Simonstown could only add on a pointed free as their scoring touch up front deserted them. Trying to play pin point passes into the forward line proved difficult on a surface made very greasy by a fist half downpour and the Seneschalstown defence always seemed to be able to get a hand in to disrupt the attack just as they got into dangerous positions while up the other end the Seneschalstown forwards managed to keep the scoreboard ticking over and gradually pulled away.

The victory leaves the League winners safely into the semi-final along with Navan O’Mahonys from Group A with their encounter on Sunday September 16th going to decide which side comes out on group winners and consequently secures themselves a home game in the knockout stages.

Boosted by the return from injury of Meath Minor James O’Hare whose presence at midfield released Joseph Moore into the forwards, Seneschalstown had solid performances all over the field with Simon Rooney again excelling at full back, Jeaic Timmons showing well at centre back and with forwards Jamie Kirwan and Kit Waddington showing well throughout.

Simonstown it was though who were first to register when with a minute on the clock they pointed from play. Seneschalstown almost hit back immediately only for Tom Barron to see his goal effort smartly saved. The home side did manage to open their account when Sean Commons tapped over a 14 metre free from in front of the uprights on 3 minutes. As the heavens opened the scores weren’t exactly flowing but on 9 minutes Commons sent his team to into a lead they would ultimately never relinquish as he lashed a penalty past the despairing dive of the Simonstown goalie after Barron was adjudged to have been fouled. Barron then got in on the scoring act himself when after a Joseph Moore point effort was spilled in the square after it had dropped short, the full forward pounced quickest and rattled the back of the net to push his side into a 2-01 to 0-01 lead.

At this stage Simonstown needed a score to settle themselves and it duly arrived as they pointed a free but Jamie Kirwan soon cancelled it out when he got on the end of a sweeping move involving Jeaic Timmons and Moore before pointing from 30 metres. Another Simonstown point from play arrived on 19 minutes but this was only followed by 4 on the bounce from the home side as Timmons, Moore and a Commons brace all bisected the uprights at the railway end of the ground, with every Simonstown mistake being ruthlessly punished. A pointed free as the interval approached from the Niall Kane coached side though left the scoreboard reading Seneschalstown 2-06 Simonstown 0-04 at the half time break in play as both sides retreated to the dressing rooms.

Needing a quick start to the second half, Simonstown got just that when they grabbed the opening score. A high ball in towards the Seneschalstown goalmouth was flicked to the back of the net, leaving 5 points between the sides but in the next 2 minutes Seneschalstown picked off 2 points of their own. Firstly, Joseph Moore sent a shot sailing over the crossbar before Jamie Kirwan, picked out by a raking crossfield ball from Sean Commons, took off and running directly at the heart of the Simonstown defence then let fly to score a wonderful point.

On 42 minutes Simonstown tagged on another free but ultimately this was to be their final score of the game. A Kirwan goal scored when he swung a boot at a loose ball after being set up by good play from James O’Hare and Moore was followed up by points from Jeaic Timmons and Alan Carey who impressed after his introduction. Then, as the clock ticked into injury time and evening began to close in on the banks of the Boyne, the fourth goal arrived for the victors. Timmons, who showcased throughout the hour his wide array of skills, scythed through the Simonstown defence and looking up, spotted Joseph Moore in space to his left and Moore made no mistake as he drilled his goal effort low and hard under the Simonstown goalkeeper who was powerless to stop the effort.

For Seneschalstown, their Championship ambitions remain on track with a very tough encounter to come against O’Mahonys in 10 days’ time likely to be a stern test. Win there and a home semi-final is secured. Lose and they will be on their travels. There’ll be a lot on the line in that encounter which is sure to be a cracker.

Seneschalstown: Cathal Darby; Josh Ryan; Simon Rooney; Tiernan Keogh; Woodley Nicholson; Jeaic Timmons (0-02); Cillian Lawlor; James O’Hare; Podge Finnegan; Jamie Kirwan (1-02); Sean Commons (1-03, 1-00 Pen, 0-01 Free); Joseph Moore (1-02); Ross Mullen; Tom Barron (1-00); Kit Waddington.

Seneschalstown Substitutions: Will Finnegan for T. Keogh; Donal Commons for T. Barron; Alan Carey for S. Commons (BC); Tom Smith for J. Ryan; Aaron Traynor for R. Mullen.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer