Kepak Senior Championship Quarter Final

Seneschalstown 2-06 Navan O’Mahonys 1-08

Seneschalstown booked their place in the semi-final of the Kepak Senior Championship for the second year in a row following a gutsy one point win over 2021 Intermediate champions Navan O’Mahony’s in Paddy O’Brien Park on Saturday evening.

The equation was a lot more straight forward for Barry Clarke’s charges this weekend following last Saturday’s dramatic win over Simonstown Gaels which assured them a place in then knockout stages.

The opening score came four minutes in when Kellie Stafford pointed, but the score was down to the hard work of Orla Finnegan who carried the ball all the way from her own 21 metre line to the same line at the other end of the pitch before laying off to Stafford who did the rest. The home side replied with a point from a free in the 10th minute, but Seneschalstown were about to put themselves in the driving seat.

After some good hold up play by Anna Wogan, Katie O’Brien put a ball across the face of the goal in the 12th minute. Orla Finnegan contested the dropping ball with the goalkeeper, Finnegan did extremely well to come down with the ball and she was left with an empty net in front of herself to finish the ball into.

After 20 minutes, O’Brien popped over another Seneschalstown point when there was half a goal chance on but she did well to finish the score. When the opportunity could have been lost. Three minutes later O’Brien had her second point, this time after a driving run from Stacey Grimes before finding O’Brien with a lovely pass inside. There was one final point for the home side before half time as the visitors had a four point lead at the break, 1-03 to 0-02.

The home side came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, registering 1-02 on the bounce which put them ahead. Seneschalstown needed an answer and it came from the boot of Anna Wogan in the 40th minute, Wogan produced a tidy point after some patient build up play. Two minutes later, Seneschalstown were back in front again – Grimes converting a free after Zoe Kirwan was fouled. Amy Gilsenan put the eventual winners two to the good with a point her performance deserved in the 47th minute from the right hand side, before the home side replied likewise in the 50th minute. The decisive score was to arrive three minutes later.

Just like in the first half, it came via Orla Finnegan. Finnegan took a pass on the 21 and went directly for goal, evading a few challenges along the way. She took the ball around the keeper before being abruptly halted. Despite being on the ground, Finnegan stuck out a leg and diverted the ball into the net. Had she not scored, a penalty was certainly going to be awarded but little did Seneschalstown care as it put four between the sides. As it turned out it would be Seneschalstown’s last score as O’Mahony’s kicked three final points but the goal was enough to give Seneschalstown a buffer at the final whistle as they advance to a semi-final meeting with Royal Gaels next Saturday in Dunboyne at 5pm.

Seneschalstown: Ruth Commons, Orla Garry, Caragh Monaghan, Tiana Kyle, Meadhbh Hickey, Séanaidh Hickey, Amy Gilsenan (0-01), Kiah Geraghty, Zoe Kirwan, Kellie Satfford (0-01), Stacey Grimes (0-01, 1f), Orla Finnegan (2-00), Eve Wardick, Katie O’Brien (0-02), Anna Wogan (0-01).

Sub Used: Natasha Mullen

By gordonmcguirk Sun 18th Sep