Seneschalstown Rediscover Goalscoring Touch


JM Food Services Football League Division 2 Round 9

Seneschalstown 4-08 St. Michael’s 0-11

Seneschalstown made it seven wins from nine outings in the JM Food Services football League Division 2 with a comfortable nine point win over St. Michael’s in Fr. Tully Park on Saturday evening.   Three first half goals did the damage for Seneschalstown as they lead by those scores at the break, with Alan Mulvany adding the fourth in the second half.   It was the third time in the League this year that Seneschalstown raised four green flags in the one game, despite not scoring any in their last three matches.

The first score of the hour went the way of the visitors in the opening minute but Seneschalstown replied straight away when Darren O’Brien won a long James Meade kickout and carried straight for goal before being halted 20 metres from goal.   Alan Mulvany tapped over the close range free.   St. Michael’s went in front again in the third minute but this time Eoin Finnegan equalised for the home side after David Fox created the opportunity.

For the third time in the opening six minutes, St. Michael’s nosed in front but this time Seneschalstown responded in the best possible fashion.   A high ball into the St. Michael’s square wasn’t dealt with and David Fox picked up the loose ball and he played it across to the free Alan Mulvany to palm to the net.

Three minutes later the same two players were at it again, just roles reversed.   As St. Michael’s tried to come out of their defence with the ball, Mulvany intercepted a loose pass.   He looked up and spotted Fox unmarked on the edge of the large square.   Fox caught the ball and did the rest, planting the ball into the empty net after the keeper was caught outfield.

Seneschalstown followed this up in the 14th minute with a superb point from out on the right from wing-back Ronan Conneely.   The visitors replied likewise moments later but after 17 minutes Seneschalstown had their third goal.   David Fox did well in the build-up to play in midfielder Robbie Finnegan who was left one on one.   Finnegan could have punched over but he went for goal and unleashed a rocket that nearly took the net off.

After another St. Michael’s point, Cormac Carolan continued a run off the ball to get on the end of a move and fist over.   Seneschalstown’s dominance continued and Alan Mulvany kicked over a long range score from play before Danny Waters picked out Eoin Finnegan inside and he pointed over his right shoulder.   St. Michael’s also added a late brace of points as the half drew to a close and at the break Seneschalstown’s cushion was nine points, 3-06 to 0-06.

If the first half was all action and fast paced from a Seneschalstown point of view, the second half was very much a slow burner in comparison.

The first score after the resumption came from the boot of goalkeeper James Meade, who came forward to kick a long range free from his hands after a foul on Joey Moore in the 33rd minute.   St Michael’s raised their first point of the second period in the 37th minute but Seneschalstown’s lead was back out to double digits when Eoin Finnegan, who after a couple of earlier near misses, found space when he cut in on his left foot on the 20 metre line and popped over after 40 minutes.

Seneschalstown became quite wasteful in the final twenty minutes and would only register one further score which came in the 50th minute.

When Robbie Finnegan played a free short to Ross Howard, he aimed a ball into Eoin Finnegan in the full forward line.   The ball however, ended up in the arms of Alan Mulvany and he emphatically finished the ball low to the bottom left hand corner of the net.

St. Michael’s kicked the last four points of the hour as the game drew to its inevitable conclusion with the home side running out winners by as much as they lead by at the break.   Other results on the evening mean Seneschasltown are very much in line for a semi-final berth and top spot in the division is within reach.

The big highlight of the game for Seneschalstown, along with finding their goal touch again was the appearance of Woodley Nicholson from the bench after over two years out with an ACL injury.

Next up for Seneschalstown is a home game against Syddan on Wednesday 26th June at 8pm.

Seneschalstown: James Meade (0-01, 1f), Neil Darby, Simon Rooney, Cormac Carolan (0-01), Ronan Conneely (0-01), Liam Dillon, Brian Maguire, Danny Waters, Robbie Finnegan (1-00), Ross Howard, Joey Moore, Darren O’Brien, Eoin Finnegan (0-03), David Fox (1-00), Alan Mulvany (2-02, 1f).

Subs Used: John Smith, Rob Wogan, Woodley Nicholson.

By shanemulvany Sun 16th Jun